Soon Yul Kang studied textile art in Korea, Japan and at West Dean College in the U.K. She completed a MA in textiles at Goldsmiths College, University of London and has been a resident artist in Kew Studio in Richmond since 1998. She now returns to Korea each year to lecture at Ewha Womans University. She specialises in hand woven tapestries, but also creates collages and mixed media works. A tapestry of hers is on permanent display at West Middlesex University Hospital. She has been invited as a demonstrating artist at Art in Action since 2010. In 2012 she will be again there from July 19-22, at Waterperry House, Wheatley, Oxfordshire.
“My tapestries of tranquil landscapes involve subtle changes in colour and light that reflect changes in perspective and mood to induce a sense of peace, healing and meditation inspired by the Zen understanding of simplicity, stillness and emptiness.”
- Time for Stillness….Time for Silence, Artspace Galleries, London, U.K., 2010 (Solo)
- Art in Action, Waterperry House, Oxfordshire 2010, 2011, 2012
- Woven Horizon, Colne Gallery, Colchester, U.K., 2009 (Solo)
- Weaving Within, Smith Art Gallery & Museum and Stirling Castle, Stirling, UK, 2009
- TAPESTRY 08, the Dean Clough Gallery & Bankfield Museum, Halifax, West Yorkshire, U.K., 2008