Soon Yul Kang studied Fibre Arts in Korea, Japan and UK. She received a MA in textiles (Visual Arts) at Goldsmiths College, University of London and has been a resident artist in Kew Art Studio in Richmond since 1998. She specialises in hand woven tapestries, but also creates collages and mixed media works. She has exhibited widely in UK and Korea and internationally and also has been invited as a demonstrating artist at Art in Action 2010, 2011 & 2012. A tapestry of hers is on permanent display at West Middlesex University Hospital, Twickenham in UK and Yedam Church in Seoul, Korea and private collections in UK, Ireland, Germany, U.S.A., Japan and Korea. She lectured at Ewha Womans University, Dongduk Women’s University, Sangmyung University and Konkuk University in Seoul, Korea.
“My tapestries of tranquil landscapes involve subtle changes in colour and light that reflect changes in perspective and mood to induce a sense of peace, healing and meditation inspired by the Zen understanding of simplicity, stillness and emptiness.
For recent collage works I choose meaningful words or signs. I carefully and repeatedly write them on Korean mulberry paper or pure cotton as a ritual like Zen practice. The meaning of the words and signs are related to a spiritual journey. I cut the written one into very tiny square sizes to start, and then gradually increase the size as I create a circular form. Circle and square refer to Yin and Yang but I also use a circle in my works to convey a sense of immortality and of an on-going journey.”
- LIGHT POETRY, LA NOUVA PESA, Rome, Italy, 2016 (Solo)
- Spiritual Journey, MOKSPACE, London, U.K., 2013 (Solo)
- Time for Stillness….Time for Silence, Artspace Galleries, London, U.K., 2010 (Solo)
- Art in Action, Waterperry House, Oxfordshire 2010, 2011, 2012
- Woven Horizon, Colne Gallery, Colchester, U.K., 2009 (Solo)
- Weaving Within, Smith Art Gallery & Museum and Stirling Castle, Stirling, UK, 2009